Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Very London Day!

It has been a very London day!

Woke up at 6.30 AM to catch the train with Sara to London. It takes her an hour to get to work everyday. Commuting is something I hope I never have to do, but I know that I probably will have to! Oh the big bad real world! Once we got to Victoria station we walked to get a coffee, and then I walked her to work. Felt like I was dropping my child off at school. Got to see the outside of Gordon Ramsey’s office and she introduced me to some people as I left her there for the day. Then I was all alone and headed off to explore London. Topped up my Oyster card. Walked to Westminster. Took a traditional picture of Big Ben. Sat down on a bench and watched people walk by. “People watching” is the best in London. Hopped on the underground and headed to Regents Park to take some photos for my fellow London classmates of Summer 2010. Walked down Baker Street until I got to Selfridges where I spend 2 hours just wondering around, pretending I had money to spend in Gucci, Hermes, Mulberry, Chanel, Prada, and so on. Walked to Marble Arch and watched some kids torment the pigeons. Then hopped back on the underground to meet Sara for lunch at and Italian pizza/pasta chain where I had a very yummy Pizza Fungi and a glass of water with one ice cube (that would not fly in America). It still amazes me how funny people are about ice in Europe. Yes - I want my water cold! Get over it! 

After lunch I decided to see the town from the top of a double decker bus. So I got on the one that was headed to as close to the Tate Modern I could go. Then it was a very cold, and slightly rainy, walk across the river to the Tate Modern. Bought my ticket to see the Gerhard Richter exhibit. Which I liked a lot but honestly they had so many people packed in it that you couldn’t really enjoy what you were seeing. People in London are very pushy sometimes, and I say this about some of the tourists (not the Londoners).  After hiding from the rain for about 2 hours I thought I better walk over the Millennium Bridge (or as some people call it the "Harry Potter" bridge) leaving the Globe theatre, and Tate Modern behind me as I walked towards St Paul’s Cathedral. I walked for a bit, and the cold didn't even bother me because I was having a great day in London! Found some great cheesy touristy postcards to send to people - guess you better check your mail! 

Such a productive day and I did not mind that most of it was spent with just my own company. I love exploring, and after a day like this in London I love the city even more. I love that I find the public transportation simple, and I love being able to get anywhere without really having to ask anyone. I told Sara on the train back that night that I was just like a Londoner today. I walked fast, did not smile, walked around slow people, and was in my own little world. 

Tomorrow I head to stay in London at Sophie's flat where i'll stay Thursday through Sunday, and on the 9th I will go up north to Yorkshire to visit with my Gramma and my Great Aunt Cheryl until the 12th.

Some pictures from my day...










No comments:

Post a Comment