Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Amata Mansion, Thai food, and Kasetsart University School - getting to know the area!

So we have been in Amata for a few days now... it has been interesting that is for sure. By no means are we in the worst location but our location is very limited. It looks like we will be traveling a lot. We are about a 15 to 20 minute from Tesco Lotus (Thailand's Walmart), a 5 minute walk from our school, and a 15 minute walk to a road with street food, laundry, several 7-11s, and two bars.

One of the bars - The Drunk Corner
Fresh fruit street vendors :)
Around Amata

 

Now that I have broken down the area I will explain my new apartment. It is a long term stay motel and when I first entered it I was not impressed with how dirty it was. It is called Amata Mansion and clearly photos have been photo shopped on the information we were sent with our placement (or we just don't get the fancier rooms). Friday night we got in and on Saturday morning we headed straight to Tesco Lotus to stock up on cleaning supplies, dishes, sheets, and all that jazz. After leaving Tesco Lotus Alex, Nichole, and I realized that we had bought way too much stuff to carry back and the bags would most likely break on us if we even tried to walk home. I smiled at a woman walking past and asked - taxi? She then points to the moped taxi men across the way then points at all my stuff and laughs. Yeh - there was no way a moped was getting me and all my Tesco Lotus bags home. After a few minutes her husband and daughter come up and they all chat and laugh in Thai while pointing at us and our bags. Not long after this they tell us to - follow - and thankfully they drove us home. I gave them some money for their trouble and they laughed at our attempts to say thank you. One thing is for sure. The stories are true, Thai people really are lovely!

Amata Mansion
Our pool at Amata Mansion wit the school behind!

 

My room looks 100% better now and more homie with my new sheets and mosquito net. Nichole seems to have gotten the crap room. She has a cockroach problem and they have already had to come in and sort out her leaking sink.

Primary section of my new school.
My new office and part classroom.

 

We have been hanging out with Pee Pom for the last few days. She takes us to lunch and laughs at us when a "mai pet" aka none spicy meal is still spicy. She has been writing down the things we like and making us try things. Work so far has been quick days and a lot of this it that and that is this. It seems like a really nice school. It is a little overwhelming finally being here because it feels like I have been waiting a long time for my Thailand adventure and my new job to start! I have my schedule, they are working on our work visas, and now we have a random day off midweek for a Thai holiday. The other English teachers come back tomorrow and we have "full planning days" and then we are heading to Koh Samet for the weekend. A weekend on an island is just what I need.

Nichole and Alex!
Pee Pom!
Testing out our local bar!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment