Sunday, April 14, 2013

No, my big news is not an engagement ring!

About 2 weeks ago I was given some REALLY good news about my future. Of course I was really excited to share it with my students because we have known each other for a while now. They know I love to travel and we often go into detail about where in the world we would all like to go. Before I go into the details I want to share the conversation with you -

Me - "Guys, I have some really exciting and big news about my life!" 

BLANK - "What is it Catie?? YOU ARE FINALLY ENGAGED TO BE MARRIED??"

Me after giving him a death stare - "No, I am not getting married... I am moving to Thailand to teach English in October." 

Since I told them my news they try and scare me out of going to Thailand saying things like "there are very big spiders there, oh and snakes" and "Catie you will not like the food, you will starve!" I also have been informed that the option of marrying someones brother is still on the table. Seriously? From day one I have been questioned about why I am not married yet and often I am told that I am "only getting older!" I just sigh and tell them "i'm only 24 and I am not ready for the responsibility of a husband" which sometimes is funny because then I am further encouraged to marry a Qatari man because apparently I will "never lift a finger again." After the initial shock and disappointment that I have not been given an engagement ring, or sold for two camels and a goat, I am now being informed that they will all come visit me when I am gone and that I must come back to Doha after my teaching contract is up because they do not want me to leave.

So... I am moving to Thailand in October. I do not know where I will be teaching yet as I am doing it through a program (CIEE). I don't really mind where they place me because this is something that I have always wanted to do. It is going to be a great adventure and I can't wait to travel around Asia while I am there. I will be working with younger students which will be a nice change, and I'll gain more teaching experience. I am really excited for October to come but I am also very sad to be leaving Qatar. Since I returned on January 15th in 2012 I have loved every minute of it. I have made amazing friends, I have awesome co-workers, I have (and have had) great students, great work experiences, and some amazing trips (in and outside of the Middle East).

No comments:

Post a Comment