Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Souq Night, Moroccan Dinners, and Shisha!




First time at Souq Waqif at night for dinner and some shopping since I have been back in Qatar. Texas A&M University has a study abroad program and some of the girls wanted to get some Qatar things to take back to the states so I took them because I love to look around, see all the random things, and have dinner at Souq Waqif. The Souq used to be a bunch of run down and rather smelly old buildings, however, after its make over it is now referred to most as "THE NEW OLD SOUQ" because the buildings are new but they are designed to look old. The architecture is all old Arabic style. Some people say it is horrible that they have torn them down but I think that what they have created now is wonderful. I think that the atmosphere is something unique and that it is a good place to go as a family. Yes it is a tourist hotspot but lets face it, there are not many tourists in Doha, so it is mainly full of locals. Also a real expat knows how to make any shop owner come down on his price, and we refuse to settle for what we know it is worth! So people should really stop complaining about how Souq Waqif is just SO expensive! 

I did that the girls to the GOLD Souq around the corner first because I wanted to see if they were still selling Camel Bracelets at the place that my mother always shopped at (only found one) and the GOLD Souq hasn't really changed much at all. I hear they are going to tear it down and rebuild it though... Doha is always changing! The GOLD Souq might still be the same but the price of GOLD is defiantly not! 



No comments:

Post a Comment