Friday, February 24, 2012

Henna me up!

Being the tourist that I am I jumped in line to get some free henna at the horse show today! Even though the horses are very beautiful, and a horse show is always some what entertaining, there is only so much of a horse show you can watch before you want to take a nap! Sometimes before we would leave for summer vacation my Mom would let us get henna.

Normally Emily and I would get it on one foot, going up our leg a little bit, because we knew we would be living in sandals on the beach - and it just looked cool! I just remember it being an exciting thing to do before we would jump on a plane to escape the desert heat for the summer. Henna tips: leave it on for as long as possible so that the color becomes darker, to help boost the color add lemon to it after you wash it off, and if you want it to last for as long as possible then put Vaseline over it while you are showering. Henna is a natural dye made from a plant and is used mainly for temporary tattoo designs, but women sometimes use it for their hair, and fingernails. Basically it is the closest thing I will every be getting to a tattoo :) Henna art is really something else, and I have seen some pretty amazing designs (you can google it if you don't believe me). It is part of the wedding traditions for the Arabic women to get henna before their weddings. I just love it, and I love doing touristy things even though I am not really a tourist! 

International Equestrian Festival week has officially started, and it ends March 1st with the most famous day of racing in the Middle East (yes this day has been around longer than the big race days in Dubai). HH The Emir's Sword will certainly be an interesting ending to the week! 

UPDATE(26th FEB):


Conversation in class today... 


Student "Miss I really like your henna... but you should put it on your foot. Then a guy will see it and be like WOooooOOOW, and then wallah you will be married."



No comments:

Post a Comment