Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"Miss, you should really learn Arabic"

I started some work experience yesterday through Texas A&M being a teaching assistant for an English as a Second language class. The class is 6 young men who have all applied to the Ministry of Interior here in Qatar and have been selected for scholarships, if accepted, to Texas A&M University and Carnegie Mellon University here in Doha. These schools are all part of Qatar Foundation and are located in Education city. These guys range in their English abilities, yet they are all so positive and willing to learn. They have to take the ACT for the math portion, and the IELTS for English to send in with their applications to the Universities. The IELTS is a four part English exam that gives an ability score at the end, they have to get a 6 or above in order to be in consideration as an applicant.

Today we had them write about themselves, and then read it in the class so we could see how much English they know, their writing skills, and their speaking skills. After they were all done it was extremely heartwarming to hear their points of view on their new friends. For a bunch of young men they were open, and honest about friendships, family, and their love for their country. They all share the common goal of gaining higher education so that they can give back to their country.

When it got to my turn to introduce myself, and after they all found out that I grew up in Qatar they all asked me - "Miss. Catie - how come you said you don't speak Arabic if you have lived here for 16 years?" This is a question I ALWAYS get, and it is the one thing I regret the most. Learning a language when you are young is such an easy task, however, none of my schools offered it. I personally think that it should have been mandatory. We are guest in this country, and we should really learn how to speak the native language. When I got home I asked my Dad why we were never enrolled in English courses, his reply "you were too busy at the farm, horse riding, or taking piano lessons." I would have swapped the piano lessons for Arabic because I do not remember how to read music, and I haven't played a piano in years. The past is the past though, and I am going to make an effort to learn some Arabic (well try to) while I am here in Qatar.

Arabic Lesson for today - work on my greetings!
Personally "Hula Wala" is my favorite way to say hello in Arabic. It is fun to say...


English GreetingsArabic Greetings:
Hi!Salam!   سلام
Good morning!Sabah el kheer   صباح الخير
Good evening!Masaa el kheer   مساء الخير
Welcome! (to greet someone)Marhaban   مرحبا
How are you?Kaifa haloka/ haloki ( female)   كيف حالك؟
I'm fine, thanks!Ana bekhair, shokran!   أنا بخير شكرا
And you?Wa ant? / Wa anti? (female)   و أنت؟
Good/ So-So.Jayed/ 'aadee   جيد / عادي
Thank you (very much)!Shokran (jazeelan)   (شكرا (جزيلا
You're welcome! (for "thank you")Al’afw   ألعفو
Hey! Friend!Ahlan sadiqi/ sadiqati! (female)   أهلا صديقي /صديقتي!
I missed you so much!Eshtaqto elaika/ elaiki (female) katheeran   إشتقت إليك كثيرا
What's new?Maljadeed?   مالجديد؟
Nothing muchLashai jadeed   لا شيء جديد
Good night!Tosbeho/ tosbeheena (female) ‘ala khair/   تصبح/ تصبحين على خير
See you later!Araka/ Araki (female) fi ma ba'd   أراك في مابعد
Good bye!Ma’a salama   مع السلامة




UPDATE:

The class has jumped up to a total of 14 guys. The original 6 from MOI, and now 8 older guys from QAPCO who have been working at the plant but need engineering degrees so they can gain a higher status. I am really enjoying getting to know them all, learning about why they want to get a degree in engineering, and about their families.

Ma'a salama!

No comments:

Post a Comment